This is the big brother of the Lamplighter 1 product, providing a 100% increase in capacity of fibers.
Model train lighting can be very tedious, but not so with fiber optics! Indeed, the Lamplighter System is an innovative lighting system using fiber optics. Based on using a very intense light system underneath the train layout (or dolls house or miniatures or whatever), fibers are then run into the space to be illuminated. The light source is 30+ times brighter than the typical LED used in hobby applications, which allows lighting of buildings and creating street lamps that will really glow well. The light output of a single 1.5mm fiber is greater than a typical 20mA LED.
Your model train scenery will come alive with fiber optic lighting.
To light a structure all one has to do is snip off the appropriate length of an optical fiber, insert one end into the Lamplighter box and run the other end up through a hole into the structure. A grommet accepts the fibers and holds them inside the box. Each Lamplighter box allows you to light up multiple structures, making the addition of lights into many structures very simple.
There are many different techniques for using fiber optics which allows the modeler to be very imaginative in creating lighting effects.
How many fibers can you fit into the box?
- 26 of the 1.5mm fibers
- 60 of the 1.0mm fibers
~ 40 of a mixture of the above two fibers.
For HO layouts we recommend using 1.5mm diameter fibers to light buildings, and 1.0mm for street lamps.
For N Scale layouts we recommend using 1.0mm diameter fibers to light buildings, and 0.75mm for street lamps
For O Gauge layouts we recommend 1.5mm fiber for both buildings and street lamps.
You can use 0.75 and 0.5mm for lighting trees and other applications.
We sell and recommend using the highest quality of fiber - inferior brands will not be as bright and are prone to breaking when bent.
What do you get in a Starter Kit?
- Lamplighter 2
- Power supply (a 6V wallwart power supply - wall connector selected baed on country of destination and works on both 110 and 240V, 50 and 60Hz power).
- 2 Packets of 30ft of the 1.5mm, or of 1.0mm or a mix of both fibers.
The price of this kit is reduced compared to buying the elements separately. We hope this is convenient as you start to implement model train lighting based on fiber optic lighting.
Lamplighter 2 Dimensions:
- L: 4 7/16"(11.2cm) W: 3 1/4"(8.2cm) H: 1 3/4" (4.4cm)
- Length with Flanges: 5 7/16" (13.8cm)
- No wiring needed!!
- Add light to structures / buildings in a matter of seconds.
- Cost effective when compared with other commercial systems that use LED's.
- No heat is dissipated in or near the buildings being illuminated.
- Lighting effects are limited only by your imagination